Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Sept. Theme Day: BIG wave

The September 1 worldwide Daily Photo Theme is BIG. For me, that presented a challenge. What is big in Tamarindo?

We don't have big buildings. The biggest are 7 or 8 story condos. We don't have big streets. We don't even have any streets big enough to need a traffic light. I don't think that there is a 4-lane road within an hour of Tamarindo.

We don't have any big monuments. In fact, I think Costa Rica is the only country in Latin America without any statues in honor of a liberator from colonial rule, as Costa Rica never had to fight for its independence. Spain simply gave up Costa Rica, and Costa Rica did not even learn of its independence until several weeks later when a messenger arrived from Nicaragua, but that is another story.

So, what is big about Tamarindo? People come to Tamarindo in part because it is not big. Even though it has been described in Forbes Magazine as Costa Rica's most popular beach resort, it is not a big place. Tamarindo is popular in part because of surfing, so it seemed to me that one thing that surfers wish for is some big waves. So, for the Daily Photo Theme Day of "big," I decided to post a photo of a big wave.

Rather than a traditional wave photo from shore, I took my little point-and-shoot waterproof camera and waded out into the waves to get this angle for a photo. I did not go out on a day with particular big waves, as I am not a surfer and I did not want to get crashed around in the surf. Nevertheless, I hope you enjoy this perspective of the swell that precedes the break of a wave.

11 comments:

brattcat said...

Yes, this was an excellent solution for BIG in a place that likes the understated.

Leif Hagen said...

Wow - BIG wave!! I hope you didn't get all wet! It would have been a BIG scare for me!

Sharon said...

A big wave...the pefect solution.

Jane Hards Photography said...

That is just beautiful to me. We seldom get big waves and certainly not ones as pretty in colour.

Hilda said...

With your low angle, it sure looks like a big wave! Wonderful photo, Dave!

Julie ScottsdaleDailyPhoto.com said...

wow, great angle. It looks like it would swallow you up right after you took the photo

Jilly said...

That looks so inviting, so immediate - and obviously because you waded out but goodness, didn't you get the camera wet? Perhaps it's waterproof? Love the shot.

lizziviggi said...

Wonderful shot! I'd much rather live someplace where nature is big, and our human influence small.

VP said...

Really big and scary. Great image for this Theme Day.

Gerald (SK14) said...

I had trouble finding something for this theme too and had to do some lateral thinking - this is a great way of contributing to the theme.

CreditScoreExpert said...

Wow. This wave must be two feet tall.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...