Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Tico boys fishing

I have shown a few of the many crocodiles that we saw during our boat excursion on the Tempisque River in Palo Verde National Park. Here are a few local boys fishing in the same area. I hope they know how to stay out of the way of any crocodiles who swim or walk by.

Costa Ricans call themselves "Ticos." The main English language newspaper in the country is even called he "Tico Times," so it is not a derogatory term at all. It is derived from the practice of Costa Ricans of adding the suffix "tico" to the end of a word to form a diminutive version of the noun and refer to a small item of the noun.

6 comments:

brattcat said...

They seem to love having their photo taken by you, Dave. They've got a cooler up on the hill. I wonder if it has their lunch in it, or their bait...or perhaps a little of each. I like this shot. I'm not even very worried about them, but you could change that in a moment with your commentary.

Sharon said...

My guess is that they are fully aware of the danger of the toothy crocodiles and will use caution.

Judy said...

Gosh they look happy!

Unknown said...

Ticos! I had completely forgotten this word! :-)

glenda said...

Watch where you swim would be really important here. But I would guess these boys know the perils that lurk beneath the water.

Julie ScottsdaleDailyPhoto.com said...

i like this image. it has Pura Vida written all over it.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...