Friday, June 24, 2011

Kingfisher

My current little series of some wildlife photos would not be complete without at least one photo of a bird. Here is a colorful kingfisher. Kingfishers are located primarily in tropical and temperate climate areas, and only few of the many types of kingfishers are found in the Western Hemisphere.

The presence of Kingfishers in Costa Rica is just one example of the fact that tiny Costa Rica has more different species of birds than all of the USA and Canada combined.

This week we are showing photos of the Villa Melzi in Bellagio, Italy, on the shores of Lake Como on our Viva la Voyage travel photo site.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

I spotted a striking blue Kingfisher in Oeiras the other day. I was quite surprised as I didn't even know they existed here. Such lovely birds! Love the great captures in this wildlife series, David.

Kate said...

Everyone should max your photo to get the best effect of this outstandingly beautiful bird...it's a wonderful shot, Dave!

There are many lovely poems about Kingfishers. Here's one:

The Kingfisher by William Henry Davies

It was the Rainbow gave thee birth,
And left thee all her lovely hues;
And, as her mother’s name was Tears,
So runs it in my blood to choose
For haunts the lonely pools, and keep
In company with trees that weep.
Go you and, with such glorious hues,
Live with proud peacocks in green parks;
On lawns as smooth as shining glass,
Let every feather show its marks;
Get thee on boughs and clap thy wings
Before the windows of proud kings.
Nay, lovely Bird, thou art not vain;
Thou hast no proud, ambitious mind;
I also love a quiet place
That’s green, away from all mankind;
A lonely pool, and let a tree
Sigh with her bosom over me.

Jack said...

The name "kingfisher" is one I know, but as I think about it and look at your picture, I'm not sure that I have ever seen one. It is probably all around me and I have just not been observant.

Judy said...

What a beauty and not hard to spot with all those colors! I love the poem that Kate contributed too.

Sharon said...

I love all the colorful birds in Costa Rica.
Visited the Cosmopolitan today...wow.

Julie ScottsdaleDailyPhoto.com said...

very colorful and full of boldness

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...