Thursday, October 27, 2011

Kitchen ventilation

This is the ceiling of the kitchen. I took this photo to show the ventilation near the ceiling. This is especially important because the primary roofing material in local Tico houses is corrugated metal. There is no insulation.

You can imagine that on hot sunny, days, the heat would transfer through the metal roof. The high ceilings and open ventilation on each side will help keep the house cooler.

The metal roofs must be very noisy when there is a tropical downpour.

This week we have photos of the Atacama Desert of Chile on our Viva la Voyage travel photo site. If you have not been there, it is worth a visit to our website to see unique, colorful landscape.

5 comments:

Kate said...

I don't think that I'd get used to the heat generated in that area on hot days.

PerthDailyPhoto said...

I love the way people adapt to their environment and circumstances, there's nothing wrong with 'natural' airconditioning!!

Sharon said...

Remembering how warm it is in Costa Rica, I'm wondering if I could live in a house like this.

Lowell said...

I hadn't thought about the sound of the rain...but you're right! It could be deafening...plus it looks like there are some holes where it would tend to leak through!

S.E.B & J.A.D. said...

Hello everyone... you should see this! critico de bares there are to many bars and pubs! I couldn't believe it when I saw them across that blog. I hope you enjoy it guys! It's easy to read and understand, and there are some articles in English too.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...