Saturday, November 12, 2011

Big cow

In addition to the little calves and goats, the pasture of this ranch is home to larger cattle. I walked out part way into the pasture to get this photo, but I used my telephoto and did not get very close, for obvious reasons.

Although this cow has rather mean looking horns, it is not a bull, as the udder shows. My wife, Julie, belonged to Future Farmers of America when she was youth growing up just outside Phoenix, Arizona. She was a udder judger. I like to tease her about being an udder judger, so I am sure she will be embarrassed that I am doing it again, through this post.

We have photos of the Villa Balbianello on our Viva la Voyage travel photo site. It is a delightful Villa that straddles the tip of a peninsula in Lake Como, Italy.

9 comments:

brattcat said...

is the pasture right beside a road?

Dave-CostaRicaDailyPhoto.com said...

Brattcat,
Yes, this pasture lies right next to a road that that gets a fair amount of traffic. It is the shortest route between Tamarindo and Santa Cruz, which is the site of the municipal government for Tamarindo and the surrounding area. It is about 20 minutes inland. Santa Cruz has a population of 45,000.

This road is unpaved, although there is a paved road that is slightly longer and is the route I would take to get to Santa Cruz. This road is the route that some of the buses use that bring workers to Tamarindo for the tourist industry, as the people who work in Tamarindo generally to not live in Tamarindo because Tamaindo is populated primarily by foreigners.

Sharon said...

She has her eye on you! She looks like she's wearing socks.

Lowell said...

I have to say that I was udderly fascinated to hear about Julie's previous experience with bulls, er, cows!

This mama probably wouldn't have hurt you...I think the most danger nearby would a cowpie! Or two!

glenda said...

This one does look rather mean. I would not tke a chance for a closer look. I want to ask what is an udder judger but no I guess I do not need the details.

Roberto Machado Alves said...

A great shot and it looks like she's looking at you. Here in Rio de Janeiro is having an exhibition called Cow Parade scattered throughout the city. But they are sculptures, are not real.

Greetings from Robert, Rio de Janeiro.

Anonymous said...

Must be over a year, since last I saw a cow.

Please have you all a good Sunday.

Leif Hagen said...

Not a relative of the Holsteins I always saw growing up in Wisconsin, aka America's Dairyland! Nice catch up on your blog today after a busy work week, David!

Unknown said...

What a regal head! It looks Egyptian. :-) Beautiful.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...