Sunday, August 18, 2013

Biodiversity: 49 new bird species

I chose this bird photo to commemorate the National Commission on Biodiversity's new addition of 5,000 more species to the flora and fauna documented to exist in Costa Rica, including 49 additional bird species.

That is impressive in view of the fact that there were already known to be more bird species in tiny Costa Rica than in the USA and Canada combined.

Costa Rica contains 4.5% of the planet's biodiversity, with 92,000 different plant and animal species.   That is remarkable for a country the size of West Virginia or Switzerland.

The National Commission on Biodiversity is developing a plan to maintain the country's biodiversity despite the challenges of development, population growth and global warming.  This is a commendable effort for a developing country.

Today is Sunday, so we have new photos posted on our Viva la Voyage travel photo site.   This week we are featuring photos of the Spanish colonial architecture of Grenada, Nicaragua.

5 comments:

Sharon said...

I was probably impressed by the birds in Costa Rica more than any other natural thing. Such beautiful and diverse birds everywhere you looked.

Kate said...

Perhaps my eyes are just getting old, but I had to max the photo to see the bird. . .am I correct is seeing that it has an unusual bill/beak? Is part of what I think I see just the tree?

glenda said...

I enjoyed seeing all the beautiful birds on my visit to Costa Rica. So many different kinds especially on the boat trip down the river.

Judy said...

They look like jewels with their beautiful iridescent feathers.

Bob Crowe said...

Like they need more (but good for them!) A park ranger once told us that Parque Nacional de Monteverde itself has more bird species than the US.

I wonder if Costa Rica's biodiversity will be greatly challenged by global warming. They are too small to do anything about it but I can't think of a country better prepared to respond.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...