Saturday, May 19, 2012

Baby iguana

This photo shows how much better it is to get down on the same level as a small animal, rather than shooting down on it.  I was able to get the ocean in the background.

I also tried to frame the iguana with the water behind his body rather than the darker rocks, as the rocks would provide less contrast to the color of the iguana.

The challenge of this photo was the depth of field because I was only a few feet from the iguana, and the ocean was well outside the camera's depth of field.  Also, Julie was using our good camera, and I had our older camera which, although it has a 15 times zoom, has no setting higher than f 8, so its depth of field is very limited.

But I can also pretend that I wanted to blur the background so that it does not distract from the subject.

This week we are showing photos of the Atacama desert in the Andes Mountains of northern Chile.  It is a unique landscape.

8 comments:

Kate said...

Yes, this photo demonstrates that good planning is key to a good photo. It is clearer and the iguana is positioned better here than your photo yesterday.

Judy said...

I like this one too. I have known people who kept an iguana as a pet but I don't think they are very happy being a pet in someones house. This little one looks happy and free to live the life he should.

Living In Williamsburg Virginia said...

Old camera and depth issues did nothing to diminish the quality of this photo. Excellent shot by an excellent photographer.

Darryl and Ruth :)

Memphis MOJO said...

I prefer the blurry background. Nice shot.

Jack said...

Personally, I favor a narrow depth of field for a shot like this one. You were emphasizing the reptile, and the water behind it wasn't central to the shot. Well done.

Unknown said...

It's a great shot of this cutie and I like the blurred background.

PerthDailyPhoto said...

I love the way this one looks Dave, by far the best of the group. He really was an obliging little fella.

brattcat said...

pretend away, it's a great shot.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...