Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Stone or coral?

This looks like coral to me, in color, shape and texture. But it is another example of the stone in the Barra Honda cave we explored.

I have written in the past about how Costa Rica, with only 0.03% of the world's land area has 6% of the world's biodiversity. The scenery is also diverse, with beaches, mountains, jungles, cloud forests, plains and valleys, volcanoes, waterfalls, and more. The photos I have posted from Barra Honda during the past week illustrate that Costa Rica is diverse underground as well as above ground.

Tomorrow, we leave our underground explorations and I will show a photo of an unusual plant along the trail in Barra Honda National Park.

August is National Parks Month in Costa Rica, and I hope the photos I have posted from several of the national parks near Tamarindo have helped to show why eco-tourism is a major contributor to the economy of Costa Rica. Costa Rica is now receiving the dividends of decisions to create many of its national parks as recently as the 1970s to preserve a larger percentage of its land than any other country on the planet.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I have Costa Rica on my bucket list. My sister and my daughter visited there several years ago and they still talk about it constantly.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...