Saturday, November 8, 2008

Sandpiper


Here is a bird that I think is a sandpiper, although I could not find a bird exactly like this in my books about Costa Rican birds and wildlife. It is larger than most sandpipers, however, and it could be a gull. This bird was walking along the beach near the mouth of the Langosta estuary. Costa Rica has more species of birds than the USA and Canada combined, so I hope you will excuse me if I use that as an excuse to post this photo of a bird that I cannot positively identify. Perhaps someone can leave a comment to help identify the bird.

5 comments:

Sharon said...

That is an unusual looking beach bird. His long legs certainly speak 'sandpiper', but his coloring doesn't seem to be quite right. I hope one of your visitors can confirm his identity.

Dave-CostaRicaDailyPhoto.com said...

Sharon,
You are right about the coloring. My Costa Rican wildlife/bird books have illustrations of sandpipers with black and white coloring, but not with the pattern of this bird. Also, this bird has an orange beak, whereas the sandpipers illustrated generally have dark beaks. And his body seems longer and larger than most sandpipers.

I certainly did not anticipate when I started this Daily Photo site about five months ago that I would be worried about the color of bird beaks.

magiceye said...

has a carrot for a beak :)

Pat - Arkansas said...

I believe your bird to be an American Oyster Catcher. He or she must be vacationing in Costa Rica.

I'm not a birder; I found the name of this one by googling 'shore birds in Costa Rica.' Isn't the Internet wonderful?

You have a very interesting site. This is my first visit, I'll be back.

Pat - Arkansas said...

Post script: that should be Oystercatcher, one word, not two.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...