Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Cathedral of Our Lady of Angels

This is a front and side view of the Cathedral of Our Lady of Angels in Cartago, the most important church in Costa Rica. I previously posted a series of photos of the church beginning on October 12, with a photo of the front facade.

My previous photos of the church did not show the interior except for the La Negrita statue that is displayed in a shrine that is part of the altar piece. The miraculous return of the La Negrita statue to this spot where the statue was discovered by a peasant girl in 1635 caused a church to be built on this spot. I will show several photos of the beautiful, unique interior during the next several days.

5 comments:

Sharon said...

What a beautiful church. I can't wait to see the inside.

Judy said...

Beautiful shot, I like the angle, (and the angel), and Oh my! That wonderful sky!

Saretta said...

What an intensely white church. It's beautiful, but it reminds me of a wedding cake!

Kris McCracken said...

I beg your forgiveness for my cutting and pasting – yet constantly reworking – this comment, but there was no way on Earth I would be able to make it around the whole globe to wish everybody a Merry Christmas otherwise.

Yes, I am but a mere mortal. The magical elves that constitute my staff have demonstrated their lack of respect in either not showing up for work at all, and those that have all seem a little worse for wear, if you catch my drift. All they seem to do is sit around smoking, playing cards and telling dirty jokes! Consequently, the reindeer are all filthy and out of shape. And you know, the wallabies just don’t cut it as replacements.

Anyway, from myself, Henry and Ezra, have a Merry Christmas/Winter Solstice/Hanukkah/Festivus and a happy New Year!

I hope that all of your holiday photos turn out to be triumphs, your stocking is stuffed full of lots of tasty treats and not coal and that all your pumpkin pies are all as sweet as you like them.

Anonymous said...

What a beautiful church. For years on my previous blog I posted a church photo each sunday.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...