Sunday, January 24, 2010

Overview of Tamarindo

This is an overview of Tamarindo from the top of the hill the borders the town. Yes, you are looking at "downtown" Tamarindo. If it were not for the new high rise condos, the view would still be dominated by lush, green trees.

You can see the effects of condo development of the past 6 or 7 years.

This photo shows the south end of Tamarindo beach, San Francisco point, and arond the point in the background is Langosta Beach. Two high rise condos in Playa Langosta are visible, and I will show more photos of one of them in the days ahead.

The large white building in the middle of town is the new Pacific Park condo, which advertises that it has brought "New York Style" to a Costa Rica beach. I will show more of it the day after tomorrow. Tomorrow, I will show a photo to contrast with this scene.

The introduction of international flights direct from the USA and Canada to the airport in Liberia, one hour away, about 10 years ago caused the rapid development of condos and vacation homes in the area, marketed for foreigners.

20% of the international travelers to Costa Rica now fly to Liberia rather than the capital of San Jose. That should increase in the future as a new airport terminal in Liberia will be built beginning in a couple of months.

Today is Sunday, so we have new photos on our Viva la Voyage travel photo website. This week we are showing photos of Peru, particularly Machu Picchu.

8 comments:

glenda said...

This is why people travel here! Look at the setting, just beautiful.

Sharon said...

Wonderful photo. I can't get over how green everything is.

Rob Siemann said...

Wow, so much greenery! Any mosquitoes around?

Judy said...

New York style, eh? I wonder, is that what people are looking for in Costa Rica? I think I'd rather have the lovely Spanish style. It looks so beautiful in the photo with all the green and the blue water and sky. Paradise!

Marie said...

The view is so beautiful, despite the highrises.
Tourism probably helps the local economy but it has his bad aspects too.

Julie ScottsdaleDailyPhoto.com said...

i really like all of the greenery that goes all the way to the beach. i am glad costa rica protects its trees and beaches

Jilly said...

It's wildness of Costa Rica that always gets me. So reminds me of Far North Queensland yet more so. Just love where you live.

Thanks for comments on the new camera. I think I was expecting too much of the zoom at first and read somewhere that it worked between between 14 and 50 and so I'm learning to move closer to my subject. My old Lumix FZ 18 had such an amazing zoom I'd got used to it, but certainly the quality of the glass in this lens is so much better. So far so good, fingers crossed. Very much a learning process tho Dave. Thanks so much for noticing.

Tash said...

It's a lovely view...so much beauty, even the development looks good.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...