Sunday, January 9, 2011

Shoe ox horn covers

This is a closer photo of the ox cart that I showed yesterday. The family put the child's shoes over the ox's horns. I guess that is one way to make sure that the boy does not lose his shoes.

You may notice in the photo a "Laura" bumper sticker, which I am sure was made with the intent that it would be displayed on a car or truck, not an oxen yoke.

Laura Chinchilla was elected last year as the first female President of Costa Rica. She had a distinguished career of public service in many positions in government, and her campaign emphasized fighting crime as a major issue. She graduated from the University of Costa Rica, and then earned a Master's Degree in Public Policy from Georgetown University in Washington, D.C.

Today is Sunday, so we have new photos posted on our Viva la Voyage travel photos site. This week we are showing photos of Iceland.

8 comments:

Kate said...

This gives a new meaning to shoe horns. I'm sure the child prefers going barefoot, too. I wonder why the horns are bound with the black sash/binder?

glenda said...

Neat shoe rack.

Sharon said...

Kate beat me to it. I was going to say is this where the term shoe horn came from?

Judy said...

I wonder if the ox feels as embarrassed as my dog does when I put a hat on his head.

Jack said...

That is pretty cute. We hardly ever have ox carts moving down the streets of West Hartford! I suspect it is the way they keep the boy from losing his shoes.

Dave-CostaRicaDailyPhoto.com said...

Kate,

I think the answer to your question about the black sash/binder around the horns is that they don't have a yoke and collar around the neck and shoulders of the oxen.

The only way they have attached the cart to the oxen is at the horns.

That also explains why the cart is tipping back. The tongue of the cart was intended to be horizontal and attached down low, but it is angled up to the level of the horns.

Kate said...

Dave, you are always so good about answering questions posed on your blog. Thanks!

Unknown said...

What a terrific find! :-)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...