Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Shells at the mouth of Langosta Estuary

This is a little pile of shells in the tidewater at the mouth of the Langosta Estuary.

No, I did not create this little pile.  It looks like the crabs that carry these shells on their backs were playing a version of the childhood game of "king of the mountain" to see who could climb up on top.

The crabs and mossy rock or coral are not attractive enough to make this a very appealing photograph, but this does illustrate a classic photographic technique to add depth and interest to a landscape photo.

I took this photo with a small camera that has a maximum f-stop of 8, which I was surprised still did a decent job with an extreme depth of field challenge.  The advantage of using that little camera is that it has a tilt LCD viewfinder screen.  That comes in very hand for photos such as this, as I can put the camera down near the ground and look down into the screen.  On my good DSLR, I would have to lie down on the ground to see the screen, or take several photos guessing at what is visible through the lens.

This week we have photos of the elegant villas and gardens of the Borromean Islands in Lake Maggiore, Italy, posted on our Viva la Voyage travel photo site.

5 comments:

knitabitknitwit said...

"The crabs and mossy rock or coral" DO make the photo very appealing to me, for one ~ I like the way the hodge-podge little hovel contrasts with the classic beauty and grandeur of the majestic scene. Thanks for the technical advise in your description.

Sharon said...

I think I know what camera you are talking about. I'll be home tonight but I have posted through the end of the month to give me some time to catch up on things. I'll also have the job of downloading and editing about 2400 photos.

Jack said...

A most interesting photo, Dave. The shells look like they were placed there with care.

PerthDailyPhoto said...

It looks like the shells are really big Dave, but the perspective you've taken would do that! Excellent blur out to background.

Unknown said...

What a great composition. I love exploring these places.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...