Friday, October 18, 2013

School building

This is one of the classroom buildings at the school in Santa Rosa.    The literacy rate in Costa Rica is about the same as the USA, and is higher than other countries in Central America and much of the developing world.

In 1949 Costa Rica abolished its military and redirected the military budget to education and health care.  Its health care system is rated about the the same as the USA as well.

This week on our Viva la Voyage travel photo site we have photos posed of the remarkable street art of Valparaiso, Chile.

6 comments:

Sharon said...

I think they have their priorities right.

Kate said...

A nice bright simple but beautiful building. Why can't dictators in other countries see the advantages of a system like Costa Rica? Age old question, I guess!

PerthDailyPhoto said...

Agree with Kate and Sharon..politicians so often get the priorities confused.

Judy said...

Excellent idea! I bet when school is in, that bike rack is full.

Bob Crowe said...

Costa Rica wisely decided that its best military option was the U.S. Department of Defense. The money has been well spent elsewhere.

Jack said...

That is an exceptionally modest building. It illustrates that one can get a decent education without all of the fancy stuff that we cram into schools these days. Newtown, Connecticut, is replacing the Sandy Hook elementary school at a cost of $54 million.

No, my photo today was not on I-95. I had visited my cousin in a small town near Myrtle Beach, South Carolina, so I decided to continue from there for 50 miles or so on a state highway where I came across miles of marshes.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...